The beautiful stained art glass windows are an outstanding feature of Rose City Park United Methodist Church. When the present brick sanctuary was completed in 1925, the minister was William Wallace Youngson who had also served the congregation when it was organized in 1913. It was largely because of his efforts and personal involvement, as well as the generous gifts by himself and his wife’s family (the Sylvester – Farrells) that the windows were planned and donors found to complete them.
The original lists included 26 windows. It is believed that 29 were eventually installed and the proposed themes of some were changed. During later remodeling programs, six were removed and stored. Currently three of them are displayed in the Holman Music Room. Structural changes in the building account for some of the seemingly strange and inaccessible locations of a few others. It is well worth a tour of the sanctuary to locate and admire in detail all of the 23 windows still in place.
A colored book is available for $25.00 through the church office that contains colored pictures of each window as well as the original sermons given by Dr. Youngson when each window was installed. As part of the 100th Anniversary Celebration in early 2013, Rev. Tom Tate did a sermon series on some of the windows. These are also included in the book. Requests can be made through the church office at 503.281.1229 or email@example.com